Monday, April 18, 2016

Week 35

So I said goodbye to Palm Harbor last week, and moved about 10 miles East of that... to Odessa! I am now serving in the Odessa Ward with Sister Hunt.  We moved Wednesday, and it was so stressful! I will quote from my journal (warning, it's dramatic):

"I AM SO SORE!! We carried our entire lives down 4 flights of sitars, packed our possessions in a 5 passenger car, drove 20 minutes, and climbed 1 flight of stairs with our belongings on our backs. Twice. My body aches. My muscles are so mad at me! I feel so bad for the future me who will have to wake up and exercise with this complaining body."

It wasn't nearly as bad as I made it sound, but I was feeling dramatic. So we whitewashed Odessa (that means when 2 missionaries start in a new area). The rest of this week was really weird. We took a lot of time to call members and set up appointments with them. We met the ward council members, taught them in their homes, and helped them with their missionary work.

This area is so different! There are a lot of big lots of land that people live on, and A LOT of gated communities. So we can't really tract here. That means working with members will be our primary source of finding people. It was discouraging a little bit because I was so used to having immediate results with street contacting or tracting, and member work takes much longer to see the results. But Sunday was awesome! A member brought 2 friends to church, and we gave one of them a Book of Mormon! They both are interested in learning more, which is very exciting. 
Our new area: Odessa, FL!

So you all are going to just die. On Sunday night, there was a special fireside for the Tampa Stake, and Elder Neil L Anderson, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, was coming to speak! We went, listening, and at the end... Well, I'll tell you what I wrote in my journal:
"it was such a cool fireside, and afterwards Elder Anderson went around and shook everyone's hand. We were too busy talking to members and missionaries, but we turned around and BAM there he was! He shook my hand and said "Wow, there are a lot of sister missionaries here!", then he moved down the crowd of people. It was so cool! I met an apostle. Woah!

I really liked this week. I have no idea where anything is or who anyone is in this ward, but I am so excited to work here!  

My testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon has been strengthened a lot since I've been on my mission. I know that that is because I've been consistently immersing myself in it's doctrine since I've been here. That is a habit I need to continue for the rest of my life. I also have been learning the power of prayer. That is something I am so grateful for.

With love,
Sister Minson


Pictures from a specialized Sisters' Mission Conference we attended this week:


Leopard print matching at the Sister's Training is so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment